Ashfall Fossil Beds will reopen on May 1, 2021.
Hello, and welcome to Ashfall Fossil Beds. Please note, we've recently made some changes to our facility for the safety of visitors, staff and researchers. In addition to increased cleaning measures, certain exhibits within the park are closed or operating under adjusted procedures. Additional details on park amenities and rule changes are listed below.
Ashfall Fossil Beds is an active research and dig site. Collecting fossils or other specimens on the park grounds is strictly prohibited.
Ashfall Fossil Beds Public Hours:
|May 1 – May 28||Tuesday – Saturday||9:30am – 4:30pm|
|May 29 – September 6 (Memorial Day – Labor Day)||Wednesday – Sunday||9:30am – 4:30pm|
|September 8 – October 10||Wednesday – Saturday, Sunday||9:30am – 4:30pm, 1:30pm – 4:30pm|
Amenities and Exhibit Closures
During operating hours, the following portions of the park will be open to visitors:
- Hubbard Rhino barn is open to view the fossil bone bed. Student paleontologists are at work from late May to early August and able to interpret the site and answer questions.
- Nature and geology trails remain open for walking and exploration.
- Restrooms in the park are open. (Please wash hands after use.)
- Bronze statues will remain open for viewing and photo opportunities.
The following portions of the park will be closed or operating with restrictions:
- Heritage Center and kids dig will be closed until further notice.
- The picnic pavilion will be open with limited capacity and social distancing of tables.
- Interactive exhibits within the Visitors' Center will be closed until further notice.
- The gift shop inside the Visitors' Center will be open. Credit cards are the preferred payment option.
- Water fountains will be inaccessible. However, bottled water will be available for purchase in the gift shop. Guests are encouraged to recycle bottles in provided canisters.
Admission (includes taxes)
Admission plus valid Nebraska Park Entry Permit required.
|Adults, Children 3+||$7.50 per person|
|Children under 3||FREE|
|UNSM Member||FREE – valid membership card must be presented upon arrival|
Ashfall Fossil Beds is located 2 miles west and 6 miles north of Royal, Nebraska. See on Google Maps.
Facilities are wheelchair accessible.