Hello, and welcome to Ashfall Fossil Beds. We're excited you want to visit. Please note, certain exhibits within the park certain closed or operating under adjusted procedures. Additional details on park amenities and rule changes are listed below.
Ashfall Fossil Beds is an active research and dig site. Collecting fossils or other specimens on the park grounds is strictly prohibited.
Ashfall Fossil Beds Public Hours:
|May 1 – May 28||Tuesday – Saturday||9:30am – 4:30pm|
|May 29 – September 5||Wednesday – Sunday||9:30am – 4:30pm|
|September 8 – October 10||Wednesday – Saturday, Sunday||9:30am – 4:30pm, 1:30pm – 4:30pm|
Admission (includes taxes)
Admission plus valid Nebraska Park Entry Permit required.
|Adults, Children 3+||$7.50 per person|
|Children under 3||FREE|
|UNSM Member||FREE – valid membership card must be presented upon arrival|
Amenities and Exhibit Closures
During operating hours, the following portions of the park will be open to visitors:
- Hubbard Rhino barn is open to view the fossil bone bed. Student paleontologists are at work from late May to early August and able to interpret the site and answer questions.
- Nature and geology trails remain open for walking and exploration.
- Restrooms in the park are open. (Please wash hands after use.)
- Bronze statues will remain open for viewing and photo opportunities.
- Outdoor fossil sandbox will be open.
- The gift shop inside the Visitors Center will be open. Credit cards are the preferred payment option.
- The Working Prep Lab inside the Visitors Center will be open. Visitors can visit with student interns as the work on fossil preparations.
- Water fountains are on and accessible.
- The picnic pavilion is open.
The following portions of the park will be closed or operating with restrictions:
- Heritage Center and kids dig remain closed.
- Interactive exhibits within the Visitors' Center remain closed.
Ashfall Fossil Beds is located 2 miles west and 6 miles north of Royal, Nebraska. See on Google Maps.
Facilities are wheelchair accessible.